I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Saturday, March 12, 2005

negligent poster

That's what I feel like, but I haven't had any interesting stories to tell lately...

Last week, because of women's day was another holiday in the middle of the week kind of week, so I didn't get much work done. I also have a cold. Blah.

The parrot bit me on the nose last week. I was trying to kiss him and he got scared. The scab is almost gone but I don't know if I'll have a scar. People will think I'm aggressive and get into fights, but no, its really because I got bit by a parrot.

Saw the movie "Turkish Gambit" which is a home-grown Russian blockbuster based on some guy's historical detective novel about the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-1878 (Russia lost, incidentally). I am SOOOOOO in love with the main star though. Ooh baby. I'm not kidding either. Oleg Menshikov, my former Russian object of obsession has been pushed aside. Bring on Egor Beroev.

Family life here is crazy crazy crazy, and that's all I'll say about that. Half the reason why I don't write much is because everything I do is so wrapped up with my family, and I don't want to air their business over the internet, necessarily. I haven't even met any other people here, except through them. I haven't felt the need. Oh I did meet a Canadian graduate student in the archive the other day.

Went snowboarding again. It sucked and I injured almost every part of my body, so I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. Although we're stuck in one helluva deep freeze here. I can't remember when it was last warmer than, oh 22 degrees F. Its March damnit! I even had a dream about daffodils last night. Of course by the time I get to VA in late April it will be summer and I will have missed the Virginia spring, that is probably my favorite thing about Virginia.

I leave for Moscow tonight, for 2 days. I have a one-day IREX conference thing on Monday - a research exchange workshop. I don't really want to talk about my topic though. Oh well.

Comments: Post a Comment