I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Sanitary Day

In Russia (and maybe in other parts of the world, I'm not sure) there is a phenomenon called "Sanitary Day". Yes, this is a direct translation. It usually happens once a month, and is generally regularly scheduled or announced in advanced. Almost all businesses and organizations do this. From my stint as an intern at the American Center here, in 1997, I am still not convinced that this has anything to do with its stated purpose, namely, sanitation. I seem to recall that we took a long lunch, did some straightening up in the office and got to have a whole day where we did not deal with patrons. Its a lot like teachers' in-service days at school. No students - no customers.

I bring this up because this morning I trekked down to the Metro Kakhovskaia to go to the Moscow Regional Archives. (I visited there in 2002, so I managed not to get lost this time). Only to discover that they were having Sanitary Day today, so I would not be able to use the reading room. The woman at the front door was very nice and told me to come back tomorrow, and so I shall. But this necessitated a return home to re-evaluate my plan for the day. It just so happened that my blood sugar crashed anyway, so I'm having lunch about 2 hours after I ate breakfast.

I think I'll go to the Russian Historical Museum and see if I can start the process of getting into their archive. They have a division specifically related to Novodevichii Cemetery, which is one of the case studies in my dissertation.

Comments: Post a Comment