I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Harold and Maude

Happy Birthday John!

Last night I went to the theater with my Russian friend Ira. She belongs to a theater club and is able to get tickets on the cheap. We went to this very small theater, not far from me - at a place called the Hermitage garden, and the theater is called Sphera. It was supposed to be a different play, but practically the whole cast was sick, so they switched it up at the last minute and we ended up seeing "Harold and Maude."

Now, I've never seen the film in the states, so I actually lacked the frame of reference, which was nice, because it was very witty and fresh in Russian. The stage was very small, and the seats were on all sides, so the cast was sometimes interacting with the audience. And the woman who played Maude was great! A bonafide really old Russian woman who was hilarious. It was a fun evening, even though the wind and the rain made the walk home and adventure.

So, I've finally gotten some culture here, yea me.

I didn't go on the hike because of the weather, an upset stomach and a sleeping through of my alarm. I'm really bummed now, because I've been restless and twitchy all weekend, and the roomie is stressed with writing a paper, so I've kind of been tiptoeing around there, so as not to disturb her. And our internet is busted again, and that's annoying too. I'm just in a mood, and an all day hike would have been great.......

Did meet another American graduate student, who will be here all year, and she's outrageously funny and cool (in that nerdy academic sort of way - we think the archives are EXCITING!). So that's good news. She has girlfriend potential.

Anyhoose, my time at the internet cafe is counting down, and I'm off to get myself a Russian haircut. Wish me luck!

Comments: Post a Comment