I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Monday, October 04, 2004

Aack!

Its happening! Tonight! A freeze! It will get down to -1 (Celcius folks, this is the rest of the world) If you were here, you could hear me whimpering.

BUT! In response to this development, I have good news to report.
First of all, I have a roommate now, and she's awesome. In fact, we're frightenly identical. But this is unimportant at the moment, but her presence is crucial to the event.

Since she arrived on Thursday, we have spent our time together in the apartment huddled in the living room with the space heater. All other rooms were so frigid they were uninhabitable. Its a good thing we get along so far! Thanks to the space heater, the living room was in fact a sauna.

On Sunday morning, she was working at her computer, also listening to music. I was reading. Suddenly, she turns to me, and asks, "what's that noise?" It sounded like water running through pipes in the walls. I assumed it was related to the renovations going on upstairs. But wait! I put my ear to the radiator by the window. No, it was in fact our radiators filling with water, water that would soon heat up and bring life to Tverskaia dom 6. We did a little jig, a dance of joy if you will. Soon it will be SO hot in the apartment that we will have to open the windows in the middle of winter and SO dry that we will get bloody noses, but for now, the apartment is fit for human occupation.

To celebrate, we went to see the Bourne Supremacy, in Russian. A significant part of it was filmed in Moscow, which is why I wanted all you people in Cville to go see it with me, but nooooooo. Then you could have had an idea of where I live, and what it is like.

The best thing about the theater....everybody's seat was a BEAN BAG! Yes, a theater full of bean bags. It was awesome. Of course the people next to us were making out, which was less than awesome, but what can ya do?

No heat yet in the archives yet, I am sad to report.

Comments: Post a Comment