I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Monday, October 18, 2004

Vote!

Well, no particularly exciting stories today. I sat in the archives and read about the attempt to save a 17th century church from demolition (unsuccessful).

This weekend I met with a Russian acquaintance, a girl I interned with many years ago. That's a long explanation for some other time. She's rather cloying, and I think really only wants to speak English and makes fun of my Russian (which is better than her English) so I didn't really have fun. But anyway......

This week, I get to trek to one of several locations around Moscow where the U.S. Embassy is making available Federal Write-in Ballots for the election because.....surprise surprise, my absentee ballot hasn't arrived yet. And someone can go stick their tongue out at the woman in the Charlottesville Voter Registration office and say "desi told you so" because damnit, she didn't believe me that mail is not as reliable as one might think here. She didn't even know that the Russians HAVE A DIFFERENT ALPHABET! In fact the FSB probably knows I'm voting for Kerry and intercepted my ballot because we all know who PUTIN wants to win - Bushy Jr. So my vote will still count for the Presidential election - but to my Cville friends - VOTE AL WEED for Congress!!!!!! No more Virgil Goode, please!

So that's what I have to say today. Go vote!

Comments: Post a Comment