I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Who says you can't control the weather?

Just watched the evening news...there was a press conference with the mayor, Yuri Luzhkov, about the impending Victory Day celebrations. There was a huge rehearsal today and most of the city center was closed so that 1000s of military trucks could drive through Red Square. Anyhoose, Luzhkov asked someone on the planning committee: "Will the Veterans be needing umbrellas on May 9?" Apparently not, because they are preparing to seed the clouds so as to ensure good weather for the holiday.

Did I mention that its snowing today?

Although Sarah and I will be in St. Petersburg on Victory Day proper, I'm beginning to worry that Red Square will be closed the whole time she's here. That would really, really, really suck.

And in case you didn't guess, the Victory Day anniversary (60th) is huge here, absolutely a big deal. The past few months the government has been giving major appliances to veterans, everyday on TV there are 10 different features about the war, etc. Of course the surviving veterans (and anyone who remembers the war for that matter) are quite old and won't be around for much longer....

Comments: Post a Comment