I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Friday, July 22, 2005

why St. Petersburg is better than Moscow

Okay, so I could come up with a hundred reasons for this right about now, but the reason of the day is: because St. Petersburg is a port city.

Why does this matter? I'll tell you!

Went to the post office today to send a huge pile of books homeward. In St. Petersburg I sent them "by boat" which although slower than air mail, nonetheless got them there in about 2 months. So after wrapping up my 10 kilograms of books (that's about 20 pounds, incidentally) the lady asks me: so air mail right?
Me: actually by boat please
Lady: Boat? Do you want them to get there?
Me: I know its slower
Lady: They won't get there
Me: I don't understand
Lady: You can either send them by air or by land, and we're not connected to America by land - they won't arrive (ne dokhodiat)
Me: But I want to send them by boat
Lady: what boat? There is no boat.
Me: But in Petersburg I sent them by boat
Old Man waiting in line: There's a port there, that's why you can send them by boat
Me: Oh. That's right

So I sent them by air mail and paid $50 to do it. I'm thinking of just paying for the extra bag again on the way back, because after a few $50 trips to the post office I could pay the $150 for the extra bag!

[note to self - be sure to study geography before going to post office to determine available shipping options - I just assumed that when the land ended they got put on a boat!]

Comments:
That is a very strange postal policy.
 
Post a Comment