I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Sunday, September 19, 2004

A morning run

I decided the other day that sometime this weekend I was going to get up and run. I didn't drag my running shoes and clothes here for nothing, and I just feel so much better when I'm able to get my heart going. So I planned out a route, and got up at 8 this Sunday morning. My though being that the streets wouldn't be empty, but they wouldn't be so crowded that it would be annoying.

I strapped my documents to my person under my tights, with one of those waist belts. The last thing I would want is to get stopped for a document check and be without my passport. That would SUCK. It was relatively comfy, and not at all noticeable. Now its chilly here, so there was no running in the shorts and sports bra, but rather the tights and turtleneck! Yes, people looked at my funny, but most didn't pay me much mind, which was nice to know. Maybe the folks in the neighborhood will start to think of me as "that crazy foreign girl who runs in the cold". I'm fine with that. I cranked out 1.5 miles, which considering the circumstances, I'm perfectly happy with. Moscow is freakin' hilly, and I had to partially walk up a long incline. Oh well. Of course, I'll eventually have to swap out the running shoes for the snowshoes in a couple of months!

Then I came back and turned on the TV. I got sucked into a Russian cooking show, "Lets cook at home" hosted by this totally gorgeous, spastic girl, who talked 1000 miles a minute, and flung things about her kitchen. Damn, the food looked good though! She was making lamb in a red wine sauce, and tiramisu for dessert. A quote in relation to the tiramisu: "You can add a little bit of whatever liquor you like to the Tiramisu, except for vodka. Sorry, it doesn't work. And if the cream is too think, add a little more alcohol. We're all adults here." Now I'm watching a show much like Larry King Live, in that there is a host, he has a guest, and they engage in serious conversation about politics, etc. Except that its called "Orange Juice." I swear, that is the name of the show! And yes, they are drinking orange juice. I shit you not.

Mmm, I'm hungry. I feel as though I spend a large amount of my free time food shopping. Here for the produce, here for the dairy, here for the bread....etc. In fact, I have more shopping to do today. I ran out of milk. poka!

Comments: Post a Comment