I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Friday, November 12, 2004

Yasser Arafat

So I'm home watching the burial of Yasser Arafat live on the BBC, and it is a wild sight to see. I've never seen anything like it. I don't know how much you all will see, being that you are sleeping right now, and will get news clips. Its taked them forever to get the coffin out of the helicopter, and once they did, it was surrounded, and people actually are trying to take the coffin from the security forces, and you can't even see it now, its covered with people. The noise is deafening.

I wonder when its over how many people will have been crushed, or hit by stray bullets - and there are shots being fired everywhere, in celebration/mourning. Hundreds of people were crushed when Stalin died.

Anyway, I thought I'd share, since I am able to watch it live.
And I did work in the archives today. They close early on Fridays. So there.

Comments: Post a Comment