I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Allan Lichtman is everywhere

I'm so nervous, I feel ill. I've been up since 6am and this is nerve wracking. I won't go into my politics and why I think one choice is really really honestly better than the other, but this is coming down to the line, it looks like.

Allan Lichtman is the BBC's numbers man, so I got to enjoy my pre-dawn hours with him.

I do have to say, that it is absolutely how polarized America really is. The Right went farther right, and the Left had to go left in response. I used the think I was a moderate, and I feel as though that is an unattainable luxury these days. Living on the fringe of Europe though, has given me a new perspective on things. The EU doesn't have it perfect, and they haven't worked it all out, but the orientation of the population is so much more pleasing. And I don't mean just because of liberal vs. conservative either, because half of the things that mobilize Americans aren't even on their radar, because the role of government and politics is different in European society. I like the secularism of the society (although I think the French might be taking it a little to far with the hijjab restrictions), that religion is private and not public and that creates a completely different tenor in life. Canada looks nice too. Frankly, I like the idea of living in a country that is NOT a superpower, never will be one, and never wants to be one. And that doesn't mean that one is less involved in the world because of that, but that one looks for different solutions to problems than those that come at the end of a gun.


Comments: Post a Comment