I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Monday, December 27, 2004

"What is the purpose of your visit?"

Well folks, I"ve spent a restlful 10 days in the Good Ole' USA, which I normally wouldn't refer to as such because I"m not generally nostalgic in a patriotic sort of way. But the visit was nice. I made my way south after staying with 2 old college friends in the DC area, and in Charlottesville, and then to Danville where I met my parents at my Aunt's house, where I was promptly stuffed with food. (actually Alina made a point of stuffing me with food up in DC - I'm sure I've gained at least 5 pounds in 10 days!)

My trip in went smoothly, except when the lady at the Moscow passport control claimed I didn't look anything like my passport photo. I swear she examined it 20 times, staring at it, and then at me, at it, and then at me, etc....I had to explain I was 19 when the picture was taken, and shock! may have changed since then. Of course when I arrived in Washington, that passport control lady - in the US citizens line - when she looked at my US passport asked me "what is the purpose of your visit to the US?". I thought "is this a trick question?" I LIVE HERE. Sort of. I mean, I'm a citizen, but don't have a residence, live in another country, but INTEND to live here again. That one threw me. Maybe she usually works the foreign visitors line.

What was hardest to believe - especially after the jet lag/plane induced lack of sleep - that instead of just coming home from Russia, tomorrow I have to get on a plane AND GO BACK.

It doesn't seem so bad now, since I have had a much needed rest, have gorged myself with food, exercised just a little, driven a car, read old magazines, slept in my own bed, received wonderful gifts of warm socks, brownie mix, wool sweaters, and a pretty necklace from my friends and family. Its all about the creature comforts. My duffle home includes, in addition to wool/cashmere blend sweaters: brownie mix, hot cocoa mix, fuzzy socks, a bottle of Virginia wine, the new 2005 Onion headline desk calendar, a jar of Smuckers all Natural Peanut butter, Almond M&Ms, 3 new Smithsonians, granola bars, my trail shoes, new hiking socks, and 3-section collapsable trekking poles and a bunjy cord. Its a wonder it all fit! THank you all!

Unfortunately, the 1953 Soviet version of Russian Scrabble wouldn't fit, but that's waiting for me when I return! A gift rescued from the trash by my mother's co-worker whose husband used to live in Russia! A scrabble game I will finally win (if I play against you all)

Well, off to pack the carry on. More from the other side of the pond when I finally arrive.

Ciao!

Comments: Post a Comment