I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Saturday, January 15, 2005

I surrender to the forces of modernity

yes, today, I bought a Russian cell phone. I gave into all of the peer pressure and just got sick of "what!?! you don't have a cell phone!?!"

So now I am a proud owner of a very cute little phone, the simplest and cheapest I could find, and a customer of Megafon.

Do I know how to use my phone? Not really. I'm working on that.

BUT - you can send me text messages from the internet and I receive them for free.

Go to this website:

http://sms.megafonmoscow.ru/

Now, its all in Russian, so I have to talk you through it. The first part, there is a scrambled code that you have to read and type in (in numbers) to prevent spam computer program thingys from SMS-ing me.
Then it will give you a line for my number. 7-926 should already be entered in the area code part, and then fill in MY number: 1472576

Type the message and hit the button that looks like a send button, but is in Russian.
REMINDER - please sign your name! so I know who sent it - someone just sent me one, but I don't know who.

Hooray!

I would tell you to call me on it, but it would cost me $0.23 a minute, so don't.

Comments: Post a Comment