I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy 2005 - Moscow style! (censored version)

Where to start?

I decided to host a small New Year's party at my apartment, owing to its proximity to Red Square, and there ended up being 6 of us - 4 Americans and a British couple that I had never met before. We ate and drank the evening away (even though I had said to myself I would only have champagne at midnight!) having a great time.

We headed out at about 11:30, hoping to ring in the New Year on Red Square, only to discover that it was closed to the public. It has been closed every public holiday this fall and I suspected they might close it last night as well, which is a shame because its Red Square for pity's sake. We didn't bring any champagne down with us because we had heard that it was forbidden, and considered that they frisked us leaving my building to get on to the street, that probably wasn't a bad call. The atmosphere on the street was great - everyone was in a festive mood, cheering the fireworks, setting off fireworks of their own on the street. After exchanging kisses at midnight, we decided to retrieve the champagne from the apartment. I ran back with Steve, promptly falling on my ASS along the way and permanently embedding some Moscow asphalt into the palm of my hand. Ouch! We brought the champagne back out in my thermos and when the militia man asked me what I had "Chai, konechno eto chai!" (I told him it was hot tea - even though it was a balmy 32 degrees on the street!).

After getting back to the celebrations, we decided to try and persuade the line of militia men to let us pass, to just get closer the Red Square. Because there were people on the other side of the line, but I guess they arrived earlier than we did. Let me tell you what, those poor militia boys were unmoved. We tried to cajole, argue and even flirt our way through, but to no avail. Ivan, my target, could not be reasoned with. But I think the whole line thought we were rather more amusing once the six of us broke into probably the world's worst rendetion of Auld Lang Syne (sp?) considering the fact that we didn't know the words! I'm sure that was a sight to behold!

Everyone ended up crashing at my apartment, and thankfully there were just enough spaces in beds for everyone. The last left at about 3pm, and I will spend the rest of the day alternately doing dishes and nursing my hangover.

I'll post some pictures before too long. They're hilarious!

And ironically enough, on Russian TV they are currently showing the animated movie, Anastasia. Jesus.

Comments: Post a Comment