I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Thursday, July 28, 2005

No kidding

Okay, so I was attempting some self-mandated radio silence, but this little bit o' information came to my attention and I decided to surface briefly.

Remember my run-in with the scientologist English teacher? Yeah, well, he's dead.

He was murdered on Monday. He was found beaten to death in his apartment. It turns out he's also Russia's biggest spammer and has plagued peoples' inboxes relentlessly - so much so that the Minister of IT and Communications flooded the office with automated phone calls threatening him to stop.

The details of his murder are as follows - Vardan Kushnir (the dead guy) goes to the Hungry Duck (weird bar that has long outlived its fame in the 1990s), picks up 3 women and brings them back to his apartment. Police suspect these women then let in their accomplices who had the aim of robbing this guy. Well, something went wrong and he was beaten to death. The police do not think that the murder has anything to do with the spam.

There are also some people out there who thought the reports of his death were a publicity stunt until it was confirmed by the police.

Comments: Post a Comment