I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Favorite moments

The time has come for me to start reflecting on my year here....I will begin by noting some (by no means all) of my favorite moments here - things that, for the better, I'll never forget.

In no particular order:

- Riding the elektrichka back from Zvenigorod after a hike in May, listening to the women on the train sing, their voices floating through the car. The smell of the forest that day

- My first night out with the guys last fall at that random restaurant – four Americans speaking Russian all night (in spite of the pained liver the next morning from the vodka)

- New Years, 2005 (no explanations necessary)

- My and Alana’s crazy Christmas party, even though I didn’t want to have one in the first place

- Riding the ferris wheel with Alana in Gorkii park in the middle of January

- Victory Day in St. Petersburg – the parade, hearing the radio announce the moment of silence while standing on Ul. Belinskogo. Watching the fireworks from the bridge with Sarah, Marina and Alina

- Sarah's trip

- John's trip

- холодно девушка! холодно! (Kholodno devushka, kholodno!)

- Trip to Riga to see Liz – Especially sitting in the hotel bar on the top floor, sipping hot balsam and looking down at the city

- Going to Borodino with Dave and Zhenya

- Any time I was sitting in a caf?, having coffee with a friend, be it Maike, Zhenya, Dave, Maya or John

- Club Griboedova

- Snowshoeing in Izmailovskii with Alana – and summiting Red Square afterward

- “человек! человек!” (Chelovek! Chelovek! -Yes, I look back on this trip with fondness)

- Riding Finnish sani at TsKPIO on Elagin Island

- Taking Sasha to dance class and the chaotic hijinks associated with it

- Late nights with Marina and Alina over finnish liquerchiki

- The late winter sun in St. Petersburg

- Witnessing a true "white night" on the bus to Helsinki

- Bathing in the REALLY cold spring in Pereslavl'

- Being gluttonous with Maya and Sean and suffering the consequences of the "jihad" afterwards. (sorry, inside joke, you had to be there)

Comments: Post a Comment