I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Sunday, August 14, 2005

various

On Friday I went to meet a professor to pick up a book from him. He had been talking to a woman when I came up. While we were talking, this woman came over and asked, in decent English, if this professor would help her get assylum in America, because if she stayed in Russia she would be killed. This professor explained that he does not have such power and she should consult the American Embassy about her story. She left and came back several times, interrupting our conversation. Judging by the way she acted, she may have been mentally ill, also possibly homeless, at the very least, struggling.

Isinbaeva set a new world record in women's pole vault yesterday and won the gold.

I have a persistent case of food poisoning.

All of my crap is not going to fit in my bags. Not by far. I'm leaving a whoel suitcase worth of stuff behind.

Comments: Post a Comment