I'll be spending almost a year in Moscow and St. Petersburg working on my dissertation research, and when I'm not sitting in the archives, I'll keep everyone posted on what I'm up to!

Monday, January 17, 2005

Damn!

The Colts lost! (and thanks for the updates and comments on that - you know who you are!) Damn Patriots, I mean, jesus! There are no words.

And Damn! I typed an entry and it got lost in the vastness of the internet. It included a history lesson too.

Went on a hike yesterday - sans snowshoes, in case anyone was wondering, but my new hiking poles got broken in, and they worked great! Lots of familiar faces from my rainy day hike. The group has a lot of regulars. On the train back, this one guy kept interrogating me about EVERYTHING. Why are you in Russia? Where did you study Russian? What do you do? Why? Do you like Russia? Do you like America? What are the difference? Do you have Russian ancestors? Where do you live? How much is your rent? Why do you speak Russian so well? (okay, so I don't mind that one!), etc. etc. etc. Its a good group of people, and I was even invited on a trek in the Caucusus Mtns. in May, but I don't think I'll have time for that one! Felt good to get out, we were NW of Moscow, in a relatively hilly area, and there was still snow on the ground, but it was mixed with mud, ice, slush, and water in its various states!

Meanwhile, pensioners here are going nuts and striking and protesting all over the country because a new law went into effect which took away all of their benefits from the state, such as free public transportation and subsidized health care. The law is supposed to replace those services with cash payments, but the payments aren't nearly enough to cover the array of expenses that retired Russians have never had to pay, not since the Soviet Union came into existence. They blocked the highway leading to the airport here in Moscow the other day, and there have been multiple instances of attacks on bus drivers when they've asked pensioners to pay the fare! Putin's approval rating is dropping. Whoo hoo!

Off to a meeting - ciao!

Comments: Post a Comment